11/02/2012

Finding Harmony in Being Harmful

She used to read my poetry all the time, baby girl was my biggest fan
I'd let her view the pieces before anyone else, she loved to play pretend
Make believe in a world where two young girls really could fall in love
and keep the plans they exchanged tight to their hearts
like a well intentioned note tied to the foot of a dove
She used to call herself by these cute little nicknames
I'd have to smile just to hide my laughing refrain
She would bring me roses, 'cause they were full of notions
and I would walk back to rescue her in the pouring rain
My knight's armour was not made of the best type of welded steel
and she began to lose me slowly
She would have our songs on repeat, and I would skip another meal
the words in the songs weren't enough to keep her from being lonely
when I broke her heart one too many times, the daisies rotted away
the lyrics of our love story turned from white to shades of grey
I'd like to believe you forgave me, oh god, years ago now
If there was any story I could relive, it would be the one of us
That was the only time in my life I've truly ever felt real love.

No comments:

Post a Comment