I've been told so many times that in this life, that you are lucky if
you: have at least five true friends whom you trust completely and who
love you for you, have a major impact on at least one person's life,
find the meaning of true happiness and love, realize that the best
things in life are free, and are not scared to be yourself. There's so
many other things, but those are the major ones.
That
being said, I love my job. Since being here and working with youth, it
has really given me more patience and compassion and understanding. It
has opened my eyes and allowed me to see more clearly with my heart,
also. I really impacted one girl's life majorly, I'm not going to talk
about it much but we had a very good connection and she trusted me
completely and we taught eachother a lot of things. I helped her with
school(she's very bright, and with my help went from being behind, to
ahead of her class), and she helped me appreciate the simple things,
like giggling like a kid again and teasing and being able to laugh with
no restrictions, be goofy like no one is watching. Not just that, but
every child I have worked with has shown me different things. Whether
it's to be a better gamer(thanks boys), a better baker, better fooseball
player, some Michael Jackson moves, better on the ski doo, or just an
all around better Inuk. The amount of love they have, is incredible. It
makes me feel amazing that I went from being down on myself and thinking
I wasn't going anywhere with my life to working with children who
didn't have it as good as me growing up and who just need someone to
listen. I'm lucky enough to not have just impacted one person's life,
but the life of many. I never was a big sister 'cause I'm the youngest,
and every child I have worked with has a special place in my heart. I
love being the "older sibling", I love that they trust me enough to open
up to me. When my time here is up, this will always remain my true, my
spiritual, home - and I am confident these children will not forget me,
as I will not forget them.
And apparently I have not
just impacted children, either. But the amount of support and love and
kind words I have received from people that, for awhile, I thought
didn't remember I even exist - is amazing. Telling me I helped them,
that their going through the same thing, that they appreciate me opening
up and sharing my story, that they feel comfortable knowing they aren't
alone. Hearing those kinds of things really make my day and help me to
believe truly, with my heart, that I am doing what's right. I have more
than five friends I can trust with anything, and I am grateful. I am
still on my way to knowing the meaning of true happiness, but from what I
have learned, it is that money does not = happiness, and love is the
most amazing thing in the world. Being able to smile is the most
valuable thing ever. The best things in life really are free. Smiles,
hugs, walks, love, friendship, compassion, sunsets, sunrises, being out
on the land, talking to my elders, spending time with children, knowing I
am never alone, being a survivor, having a family that adores me,
friends who will never betray me, seeing the northern lights, art. It is
not about money, or what kind of car you drive. It is about the people
you touch by your life in this world, and how you portray yourself. It
is about being content, with being you. I am happy to say, I love
myself. Big boned and all, I'm beautiful. And no one, nothing, can take
that away from me.
You do only live once. I wasted too
many years in the dark, and I'm ready to embrace the light. Don't waste
your time with things that won't matter in five years. Be yourself. Love
with open arms...find your own reasons as to why you're lucky to be
alive.
No comments:
Post a Comment