
It's amazing how much simple joy people get here. I mean, lots of people my age unfortunately smoke lots of weed and drink a lot of alcohol, and the older people and elders (not all of them!) - drink too - but in the long run, this is really a nice place to be. I am very fortunate to have come here and have this opportunity. This is a picture of a man paraboarding on the Bay (Arctic Ocean), and we caught him just as the sun was coming up. A perfect picture to describe how the simple things here bring so much joy. We go ski dooing all the time, which is so much fun - although I am a speed demon! There are always cultural events, a youth center open seven days a week, a game hall, and there's always an Elder to call if you need advice. For a small community, it's nice to feel a part of it. Although when I first arrived, people kinda gave me the lookover - like, what is this white woman doing in our territory? But once they got to know me, and saw that I mean no harm - I am actually here to do good, everyone has welcomed me with open arms, and I feel more at peace here than I have in any other place I have lived. Isn't that funny...
No comments:
Post a Comment